Seminar on Competition and Consumer Policies for Development , (COMPAL-AFRICOMP)
|25 Apr 2012|
| 13:00 - 15:00|
|Lunch Time Events|
The COMPAL Programme is a capacity–building programme on competition and consumer protection policies, which provides assistance to 12 countries: the Plurinational State of Bolivia, Ecuador, Colombia, El Salvador, Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, Honduras, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Paraguay, Peru and Uruguay.
The founding members of COMPAL are supported by the Swiss Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO – Switzerland).
The programme aims at strengthening capacities in various institutions dealing with competition and consumer protection policy issues in the 12 countries. In addition to providing support at the national level, the programme promotes the exchange of experiences and best practices among countries and promotes regional cooperation on competition and consumer protection policies.
The ultimate goal of this capacity–building is to provide developing countries with tools and expertise to formulate and effectively enforce competition law and policy–enhancing economic growth and development and increasing consumer welfare.
Purpose of the event
The event will showcase the successful experiences and positive impact of COMPAL in Latin America, how it has assisted young competition and consumer agencies, and the lessons learned for other countries.
The meeting will also serve as a forum to explore how COMPAL activities can be expanded to other interested countries.
- Sensitization of COMPAL as an innovative and effective platform for capacity–building in the areas of competition and consumer protection policies; and
- Expansion of COMPAL to other regions of the world.
Pierre M. Horna LL.M
Tel:+41 22 917 4766,
Competition and Consumer Policies for Development: AFRICOMP Capacity Building Programmes and Support to the West African Economic and Monetary Union and Its Member States
- UNCTAD (XIII)/CN/2012/24
Competition and Consumer Policies for Development: UNCTAD and Switzerland Capacity-Building Programm
Introductory remarks: Mr. Supachai Panitchpakdi, Secretary-General of UNCTAD
Moderator: Mr. Guillermo Valles, Director, Division on International Trade in Goods and Services, and Commodities, UNCTAD
- Mr. José Rivera, Permanent Secretary, Latin American and Caribbean Economic System (SELA)
- Mr. Hans-Peter Egler, Head, Division for Trade Promotion, State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO), Switzerland
- Mr. José Miguel de la Calle, Superintendent of Industry and Commerce, Colombia
- Mr. Hebert Tassano, President, Institute for the Defence of Competition and Intellectual Property (INDECOPI), Peru
Experiences from other countries:
Burkina Faso, Egypt, Ghana, Indonesia, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Oman, Qatar, Rwanda, Tunisia, Ukraine, United Republic of Tanzania, and Viet Nam, and the European Union
Closing remarks: Mr. Hassan Qaqaya, Head, Competition and Consumer Policies Branch, UNCTAD Room 105